Jeera rice or Zeera rice is an Indian dish consisting of rice and cumin seeds. This rice dish is known as “Zeera rice” in Pakistan. It is a popular dish in North India, an everyday rice dish. It is easy to prepare, unlike a biryani.
Here we will tell you how to prepare Jeera Rice for your Families & Guests.
we are making this dish for our 4 Guests.
- 1 cup rice Basmati Rice
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 4 whole dried red chili (sabut lal mirch)
- 1inch piece of cinnamon stick (dal chini)
- 2 cardamoms crushed (ilachi)
- 2 bay leaves (tajpat)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped (hara dhania)
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons ghee clarified butter for garnishing
- Wash the rice gently and soak in lukewarm water for about 15 minutes. Drain the water and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan moderately. Oil is the right temperature when one cumin seed dropped into the oil cracks immediately.
- Add the cumin seeds. When they crack, add all the spices red chili, cinnamon, bay leaves, and cardamom, stir for few seconds.
- Add the rice. Stir-fry one minute.
- Add the water and salt bring to a boil, and turn the heat to low. Cover the pan.
- Cook 15 minutes, or until the rice is tender and the water has evaporated. Turn off the heat add cilantro and fluff the rice.
Jeera rice is ready, serve hot.
Garnish the rice with ghee but this is optional. Jeera rice is very aromatic and delicious. This can enhance any meal.
- If like you can add a finely chopped onion to the ghee cumin mixture and fry till brown and then add rice.
- Ghee can be replaced with refined oil but ghee accentuates the flavour of basmati rice.
- A little bit of corn would taste great.
- Adding pepper seeds gives it a sharper taste.
- A little (one teaspoon) sugar can also be added it gives good taste without becoming sweet.
You can Buy all the ingredients from